CANMORE – Emergency services are on scene of a gas leak Monday afternoon (Oct. 1) at a construction site in a residential neighbourhood in Canmore.
Canmore Fire-Rescue Fire Chief Walter Gahler confirmed that crews are on scene at 17th Street and 11th Avenue after a gas line was ruptured at the location.
“We have cordoned off the entire scene,” Gahler said. “We have determined between fire command and ATCO Gas the leak is stable and venting to the atmosphere, so there is no risk to homes in the area and a shelter in place strategy is appropriate at this time.”
The site is currently under construction as an affordable housing development called Hawk’s Bend on what used to be the home of the community daycare and preschool before it was relocated to its current location.
ATCO has indicated the leak is expected to be shut off around 4:15 p.m. Residents of the area are asked to remain in their homes with windows and doors closed. Gahler added if they smell gas, to call 911.
If residents need to leave the area, they are asked to flag down a firefighter on scene to arrange exit. Traffic coming into the neighbourhood is also restricted at this time and Chief Gahler said could be escorted into the area.
Firefighters also arranged to meet children being dropped by school buses at a location outside the road closure and are walking each child home.
“We have our command trailer on scene acting as a central command post,” Gahler said. “It is a substantial response.
“We ask residents to let us do our work and keep the neighbourhood clear until the all clear comes.”