Contractor chosen for design of joint recycling, waste transfer facilities
Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 06:00 am
Construction of a joint municipal recycling facility and east regional waste transfer station to be located at Canmore’s wastewater treatment plant is expected to begin this spring.
Andreas Comeau, manager of public works for the Town of Canmore, told members of the Bow Valley Waste Management Commission on Wednesday (Feb. 13) during a commission meeting at the Canmore Civic Centre that construction should begin in May and be completed by November.
On Jan. 30 during a special meeting, commission members also chose a contractor to undertake the design of both facilities on behalf of the Town of Canmore and the commission and to oversee construction.
The two facilities will share a wall, but the Town will own and operate the municipal recycling facility, which is being relocated from Elk Run, while the commission will own and operate the waste transfer station.
In March of last year commission chief administrative officer Darcy Edison said the commission would contribute 75 per cent of the approved capital costs to design and build the transfer station using Waste Management Assistance Program Grant funds. Banff, Canmore and the MD would contribute the remaining 25 per cent of the budget.
The commission, comprised of two council members each from Banff, Canmore and the MD of Bighorn, approved a $282,960 bid by ISL Engineering and Land Services of Calgary and Canmore during a special meeting held at the Canmore Civic Centre.
ISL’s proposal pegs engineering services at $190,000, or five per cent of the total project budget, and $72,000, or two per cent of the budget, for project management services.
Edison told members of the BVWMC that he, Comeau and Andy Esarte, the Town’s manager of engineering, independently reviewed the bids and concluded ISL had the best proposal.
Each of the four proposals received was evaluated by representatives of the Town and the commission on six criteria: stability of firm; project understanding; experience and expertise of project manager; project experience; experience and expertise of team and fees.
“When Mr. Comeau and Mr. Esarte and I met, I discovered all three of us were unanimous in our scoring even though each of us rated it from different points of view,” he said.
Edison said he chose ISL based on the company having a better understanding of soil conditions, timelines and contractors in the Bow Valley and better overall ideas for the project. He said he was also happy with reviews he received on ISL’s partner, CH2M Hill, which has experience building transfer stations.
Comeau said during the Feb. 13 meeting final construction costs will be established once the design-build proposal for the facilities are approved, likely by the end of March.
“The final numbers will be set after the design is approved,” he said.
Comeau added he is optimistic the Town and commission will see a good price on the overall project.
“ISL has also recommended cost savings as well,” he said.